Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Wecipe Wednesday

.......... because I couldn't come up with any clever word-play, you get baby talk.

So my best friend from Las Vegas came up to Utah to run the half-marathon (so proud of her!) and today she is coming over to visit me with her four kidlets! I'm beyond excited but my house is a mess. (Don't judge me!) So I'm going to put the post ideas I had for another day aside and give you two--that's right, TWO--yummy recipes and then run and shove everything into closets and under beds. (Thanks for the idea, Shan! :)

I picked these recipes with Easter in mind. They've got some pizazz and it's healthy for you, too! (Both are from the Weight Watchers website as I'm a WW freak. I've given the Points Plus (r) values but I'm sure there are websites that can help you figure out the calorie info as well. When I have time I will try!)




Cranberry-Orange Glazed Ham


Prep time: 5 min
Cooking time: 60 min
Difficulty: Easy
Ingredients:



  • 2 Tbsp frozen orange juice concentrate

  • 1/4 cup canned cranberry sauce

  • 2 Tbsp unpacked brown sugar

  • 1 Tbsp whole cloves

  • 2 pounds ham, lean only

  • 1 medium mandarin orange, cut into wedges

Preheat oven to 375^F.


For glaze: In a small saucepan over low heat, stir together orange juice concentrate, cranberry sauce and brown sugar, whisking until smooth.


Stick cloves into top of ham. Place ham in a baking dish and brush with some of the glaze. Bake for 1 hour, brushing with glaze every 15 minutes.


Slice thinly, garnish with orange wedges and serve.


(Makes 8 servings, 5 pps per serving.)



If you don't like this recipe, I forgive you. Here's a recipe you can use for leftover ham--




Ham and Cranberry Salad Sandwiches

Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 0 min
Difficulty: Easy
Ingredients:


  • 1/2 cup cooked lean ham

  • 1/2 medium apple, finely diced

  • 3 Tbsp canned cranberry sauce, whole-berry

  • 2 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard (I use less than this but it's up to you!)

  • 1 medium scallion, chopped

  • 4 slices pumpernickel bread (or any bread you want)

  • 1/4 cup radicchio, about 4 leaves

Stir together ham, apple, cranberry sauce, mustard and scallion.


Lay 2 pieces of bread on a cutting board and divide ham salad between them. Top with radicchio leaves and second slice of bread.

(Makes 2 servings for 7pps each. Can be doubled.)

If you'd rather, you can use turkey ham but it's Easter so you don't have to--if anyone asks just tell them I said so.


Enjoy!




XOXO
-Katie

No comments: