Thursday, April 14, 2011

Why do you want to lose weight?

If I counted all the reasons I wanted to lose weight I’d have to break this post down into chapters. So I’ll stick to my top 5.

#5: I want to really enjoy shopping for clothes again and be able to shop in any store (not just the big girl store.)

#4: I want to feel comfortable (i.e. No more of that pinched, button of your pants feeling hitting you in the crease of your stomach.)

#3: I want to feel sexy again.

#2: I want to be healthy

#1: And mostly, I want a baby.

I know what you’re thinking. “Uh…Shannon, that’s not how it works. You don’t lose weight and get preggers….takes a little more…uh…effort.” I know, I know (sorry, I had to throw in some humor) but let’s be honest. Most people wouldn’t think that losing weight would help them have a baby, but for me, it might.

Here’s where things get personal. And again, to keep this from turning into a novel, I’ll break it down to the Reader’s Digest version. So, basically, I’ve always had regular periods until last year. The hubs and I had been on birth control since we’ve been married, and last March, we decided that we were going to let nature take its course and you know… see what happened. In July I had my last period. When I didn’t have another in August, I thought, “Boy, that was pretty easy! I’m pregnant!” So, I took a test and it was negative. Bummer. Then September came and went, again, with no period. A dozen pregnancy tests later, I finally went to see a doctor in October who put me on Progesterone, which made me menstruate but it doesn’t make you ovulate. Finally, when didn’t have a period in November, I decided to see a fertility doctor. I met with a different doctor & told him I had researched polycystic ovarian syndrome and I thought I might have it. I told him I had gained quite a bit of weight in the last year, I was hairier (eww, I know), suddenly had acne, and I wasn’t having periods (all symptoms of PCOS). So, he took blood samples, ran tests, and said my insulin levels were a teensy bit high. He said I might have PCOS, so he gave me Metformin. Long story short, I’m taking the Metformin to help regulate my insulin levels, which then helps regulate my hormones (which feel totally out of whack). One thing he did say, that I already knew, but it had a deeper impact on me coming from a doctor was to reduce the symptoms of PCOS & to help get my hormones back on track, I would need to lose weight.

So here I am, trying my darndest. I want a baby more than anything in this world, and if losing weight gets me that much closer, I’ll do it. Anytime I feel the urge to order the burger and fries instead of a salad with grilled chicken, I remind myself of what I want most. It’s my #1 reason and a huge motivator. And while I’m hopeful and optimistic, I also know that losing weight might not be all it takes. And that’s okay. But right now, I need motivation and at least after I lose the weight, whether it helps with fertility or not, I won’t look back and think, “What if….”

What are your top 5 reasons?

-Shannon

14 comments:

Brittney said...

Shan, this made me cry a little. It is not weird to think weight is going to help. I know lots of people that has made a huge change for.

Three of my girlfriends have PCOS and have fought their weight. One started cooking from a diabetic cookbook and it finally made the changing point for her. After seeing her success I mentioned it to my other two friends and it made a huge change for them too. Maybe something to try.

And my top five

1.to feel healthy

2.to keep up with my kids and live to see them grow old

3.to teach my kids a healthy lifestyle so they can also live a very long time.

4.to feel sexy *might be embarrassed to say that*

5.to feel the success of discipline

Good luck Girl!

zarbocks said...

Shannon I seriously feel for and with ya!! Good hell...I think I have 10 reasons of way I want and need to lose weight.

1. I want a baby as well, being over weight doesn't help that.

2. I want to feel good walking around in a tankini. Not some itty bitty bikini just a tankini.

3. I want to be Nics trophy. He always looks so good, and if we run into people we know I want them to think we are a good looking couple.

4. Im sick of being the fat one in the family!!

5. Last but not least, I want to have higher self esteem and feel great about myself and not always be so self conscious.

I could go on and on, but heres a few. This is a great blog!! Love it oh and ps. we all need to hang out

Alyssa said...

I would say that my reasons are the EXACT same as yours, not even kidding!!! I miss working out regularly and I hate feeling fat.

Ron from NJ said...

Thank you so much for your honesty. It couldn't have been easy to share how much your weight has affected your dreams. I can't narrow my list to my top five right now and plan on making a post just like this on my blog but I can tell you that one of the most important reasons for me is I want to be able to ride roller coasters again. A second is that I want to be able to wear clothes without embarrassment.

Libby said...

Shannon,
I've been following your blog off and on but when I read this post, it sounded way to "familiar". I too have PCOS...have had it for years and years but officially knew I had it for the past 7 years. I've been on metformin for 7 years and have been battling my weight, hormones, hair growth and more.

I'm currently trying to get preggers myself! We've been trying for a bit. I was able to get pregnant once about 4 years ago, but miscarried. We've been trying off and on since then and I'm on my 2nd round of clomid on my 3rd month of it and am always hoping and praying for that positive pregnancy test!

But enough about me, I wanted to give you some advice from one PCOSer to another...DON'T GIVE UP! Keep a positive attitude. Eat a low carb and low sugar diet. Make sure to snack on healthy things in between meals (ie: cheese, nuts, veggies) because PCOS women tend to get low blood sugar (due to the insulin resistance). Exercise regularly but don't go insane. Stay happy and try not to get down if your weight loss isn't going as fast as you had hoped. With PCOS weight loss is much slower than women without PCOS. Good luck and hang in there!

If you have any questions about PCOS or how to live with it, you can always email me at peterson.libby2@gmail.com

Best of luck!
Libby

Anonymous said...

Wow. I hope you get your baby!! That is all I can think right now... Damn, give this woman a baby!! :)

(I had to google pcos... I am a little behind on these medical things.. but dang.. scary!!)

Mama2girls said...

Awwww!! That is a GREAT reason, and I can't wait to eventually be reading that you are pregnant and all this hard work has paid off in a ton of different ways.

My top 5 reasons...

* Vanity. I want to look good! I think a past poster wrote something along these lines, but my hubby is a good looking guy and he very much has an athletic build. I don't like looking like a chunk when I stand next to him!!

* For me it isn't just about losing weight, but about making healthier choices all around. I *feel* better when I eat better, exercise and get plenty of water and rest. I like feeling good and the weight loss is a huge added bonus.

* Energy... something about the extra pounds drags me down on many levels. I feel like I have so much more energy when I'm a healthy weight.

* Eventually I'd like another baby and my last pregnancy/childbirth wrecked havoc on my body. I need to be in much better shape before attempting that again.

And my biggest reason of all is to set a great example of healthy living for my girls. If they are anything like me, their weight struggles will come later in life. If they can learn healthy habits now, hopefully they will never have to struggle.

Good luck Shannon and everyone else who writes on here! You girls are so inspirational and I really look forward to each post on your blog.

Melissa said...

Great Post, I really hope it works out for you and by end of year your preggers! Good luck in that journey

5 top reasons for losing weight

1. I was so unhappy, miserable with my "skin" and I knew I could control the physical part, so I got to losing!

2. I didn't want to be the "fat" one

3. I wanted to feel sexy/beautiful

4. I wanted to set goals and meet them!

5. I wanted a closet full of color and pretty clothes not just dark colors!

Chelsea said...

Shannon, even though I don't know you my heart breaks for you to be going through this challenge. It is SO hard to just sit back and try to continue to enjoy life when all you really want is a baby. I will probably never know the reason why it took us long to get pregnant, but I don't think the reason is what matters. It is just that the journey is so hard. Don't give up, know that it is ok to have hard days, and know that you are not alone. I wish I had been more open about what I was going through and had the support of others around me. It sounds like you have that and I think that will help. Good luck and I hope your baby comes to you soon.

Karlie said...

Our body's are amazing. Follow your instincts with your body. Let the doctors guide you. You are doing awesome. Love ya.

Top FIVE:
* I don't want to dodge seeing anyone from my past anymore.

* I want to be treated better by everyone. (some people are able to look past the fat. Most aren't)

* I want my husband to bring me to his work party and show me off.

* High School 10 year reunion? Look at me now type thing. I won't quite be there by July, but I'll sure try.

* Example to my kids, and others.

Katie said...

Shannon, I think you're amazing. My sister has struggled with infertility for years. There are so many things that can effect it. Diet and weight are a HUGE part of it. I'm prayin for you!

My top 5:

5. To give my body the respect it deserves.

4. To not be afraid to go out in public/meet new people/see old friends.

3. CUTE CLOTHES!

2. To believe my husband when he tells me how beautiful I am.

1. To make sure my kids don't have to go through what I've gone through just to be healthy.

{B} said...

ditto. :)

sussyb said...

Hi everybody.I was introduced to an alternative therapist by a friend who he help with financial issues after I had lost so much money on new drugs and weight loss programs.I weighed 245lbs when I met him,I did everything he said and instructed,used some materials he sent me..I lost 39lbs just a day of using the materials and now after a week,have lost a total of 132lbs..I never believed it was possible,its a miracle.I hope you could contact him if you need the same healing as I did(garushiraad.blogspot.com/odonshiraad@gmail.com)

sussyb said...

Hi everybody.I was introduced to an alternative therapist by a friend who he help with financial issues after I had lost so much money on new drugs and weight loss programs.I weighed 245lbs when I met him,I did everything he said and instructed,used some materials he sent me..I lost 39lbs just a day of using the materials and now after a week,have lost a total of 132lbs..I never believed it was possible,its a miracle.I hope you could contact him if you need the same healing as I did(garushiraad.blogspot.com/odonshiraad@gmail.com)